Last Updated on February 14, 2021
Beet is such a versatile veggie that can be used in many types of dishes rather it’s savory or sweet. Our take on beet is Beet & Orange Salad with Mint is so flavorful, refreshing and super pretty! It’s vegan and naturally gluten-free.
Beets, Like or Dislike
Let’s not “beet” around the bush, you either like or dislike beets. It took Peter (The photographer of Plant-Based Matters) a while to appreciate the earthiness that they have to offer. It’s a super healthy root veggie that’s sweet, earthy, and has a nice crunchy bite to it when it’s raw. Now when you combine with oranges, fresh mint, and ginger, it elevates it to another realm of awesomeness.
We would highly recommend using this recipe if your introducing someone for the first time to beets. The dressing does the magic! All the fresh ingredients it has working in its favor should help offset the strong earth flavor the beet offers.
It’s made of ginger, freshly squeezed orange juice, rice vinegar, and orange zest combined with extra virgin olive oil! The ginger gives a little heat, the sweetness and fruity acidity comes from the orange juice. The rice vinegar is for enhancing the acidity but also a perfect complement to the ginger, and the orange zest adds an intensive orange aroma to the taste.
We use Valencia orange for more sweetness however blood orange or navel orange will be a great alternative as well. The salad is also made with the orange segments to add more sweetness! They will turn red when you combine with the beets but hey, that’s all pretty to look at in the end!
How to Serve
It can be served either immediately or let it marinated in the fridge for a couple of hours to overnight! When you marinate, the beets soaks up all the goodness from the dressing so it’s even tastier!
It can be a salad by itself, or it’s also a good accent as a topping for your savory bowl!
This is definitely a plant-powered dish packed with nutrients that you will enjoy. Now “beet” it!!
Do you like the use of orange in the savory dish? Check this out!
Beet and Orange Salad with Mint
- 1/2 tbsp grated ginger
- 3 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice (Juice from 1 Valencia orange should be enough)
- 1/2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp orange zest
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 (about 12 oz) red beets peeled and julienned
- 1 Valencia orange peeled and cut out the segments
- 2 tbsp mint leaves chopped
- In a large bowl, combine ginger, orange juice, rice vinegar, orange zest, salt, black pepper and extra virgin olive oil. Mix with a whisk until well blended.
- Add beets into the bowl with dressing and toss until well coated. Then add orange segments and mint leaves. Give a quick toss.
- Serve immediately or let it marinated in the fridge for a couple of hours to overnight.
- The dish can be made with other oranges like navel orange and blood orange etc., although Valencia oranges are really juicy and sweet which is perfect for this recipe.