Last Updated on October 11, 2021
We love experimenting with different flavors with breakfast muffins! This Indian Style Breakfast Muffin is totally not authentic but hits all the flavor notes! It has carbs, protein, veggies, and good fat with a hint of curry flavor that we all love. It’s satisfying, filling and not to mention it’s vegan!
What’s so Indian about this muffin is the use of curry spices.
- Pan-fried tofu with cumin powder
- Curry mayo made with curry powder
- Sauteed Spinach with garam masala
We are not making an authentic dish so you don’t even have to be like a mad scientist to mix & blend spices. Simply use spice jars of your favorite brand!
The thick cut pan-fried tofu is simply seasoned with salt & pepper and cumin powder from Mountain Rose Herbs to give an aromatic smokiness to it. It pairs very well with other curry flavor components.
For the curry mayo, we use curry powder from Simply Organic combined with organic vegan mayo from Follow Your Heart.
Now, we like having cooked greens in our breakfast muffin whether it’s spinach or kale. We tend to use spinach because we can prepare with shorter cooking time. So, again we chose spinach for this! Initially, adding garam masala wasn’t the plan but we thought it would have been great if the greens also have some sort of Indian taste… Bingo! Using garam masala to the sauteed spinach was a greatest spur-of-the-moment decision we made for making this breakfast muffin complete!
Try other unique creations of our breakfast recipe collections!
Indian Style Breakfast Muffin
- 1 block (1 pound) super firm tofu (typically vacuum packed)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp grapeseed oil (to cook)
- 1/4 cup vegan mayo
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 pound spinach chop into 1 inch length
- 1/2 pound spinach
- A pinch of salt
- 4 English muffins
- 2 medium Hass avocados halved and thinly sliced
- Slice tofu into 4 rectangular pieces. Trim them with a paring knife (or use a cookie cutter) to make round shapes to match the shape of the English muffin. Pat dry with a paper towel then season with salt, black pepper, and cumin powder on both sides. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, prepare the curry mayo. In a small bowl, combine vegan mayo and curry powder. Mix well and set aside.
- Heat up a large non-stick frying pan at medium high heat. Pour grapeseed oil and cook tofu for 3-4 minutes on each side. Remove them from the pan and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium. In the same frying pan, pour grapeseed oil. Add garlic and garam masala. Cook for 1 minutes until fragrant. Then add spinach and season with a pinch of salt. Cook just enough for the spinach to wilt down. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Slice English muffins in half and toast.
- Assemble. Smear curry mayo sauce on toasted muffin then place avocado, the tofu, and the spinach.