Last Updated on May 13, 2022
Avocado toast became such a popular breakfast staple for us and of course for many other people whether vegan or non-vegan. We are not sure exactly how many variations are in Avocado toast. Actually, we’d love to know if there are any regional (ethnic) avocado toast you like making!
Fusion Avocado Toast?
For us, we often make Korean Style Avocado Toast or this Avocado toast with a Japanese twist, Natto [納豆]! It’s either you like it or you absolutely hate it. Natto is a traditional Japanese food. It’s fermented soybeans and a typical breakfast food mainly eaten with rice (read more on our Natto post here.)
Rice or Toast?
Good news is that it’s not just for rice but also great with toast! And the combination of avocado and natto is just unbeatable. The creaminess of avocado is perfect with the texture of natto.
It could be an adventurous dish for a majority of non-Japanese people. Would you like the thrill? Try and see for yourself!
Natto Avocado Toast
- 3-4 tbsp natto (if you see a soy-sauce based seasoning packet, don't use it---not vegan!)
- 1/2 tsp soy sauce
- 2 slices good artisan bread
- 1 Hass avocado halved (then sliced/mashed)
- Good coarse sea salt
- Lemon juice
- Shichimi pepper
- Radish sprouts (optional)
- Make the natto topping. Transfer natto to a small bowl. Stir in a circular motion with chopsticks about 100 times! It will become really stringy and slimy. Then add soy sauce. Stir again about 50 times. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, toast bread.
- Assemble. Place avocado slices or mash it on the toast. Squeeze some lemon juice on top then sprinkle a pinch of coarse sea salt. Top it with the natto and radish sprouts (optional) then finish with a sprinkle of shichimi pepper to serve.