Last Updated on October 11, 2021
If you are like us, we all love potatoes, don’t we? While we love all kinds of potatoes prepared in all different ways, one of the best ways to enjoy potatoes is definitely roasting in the oven. If you’ve never tried this version with cumin seeds and lemon your in for a real surprise! Potatoes are golden from the turmeric powder and a bit garlicky from the garlic powder. Toasted cumin seeds are a great addition to the aromas and truly gives a bit of a crunchy texture. The fresh squeeze of lemon juice really binds everything together.
The inspiration comes from one of our favorite cuisines, Indian food. They use lots of potatoes, cumin seeds, and some of there dishes are accompanied by lemon wedges…and they all tastes amazing together!
This dish is an absolute crowed pleaser, perfect for appetizers, starters, side dish, or a healthy snack! It’s like sunshine in a plate, bright, warm, beautiful, and this one will not strain the eyes.
Roasted Potatoes with Cumin Seeds & Lemon
- 4 medium size (about 1 1/2 pounds) yellow potatoes cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice plus more to serve
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Meanwhile, prepare the potatoes. In a large prep bowl, combine potatoes, extra virgin olive oil, turmeric powder, garlic powder, salt and black pepper. Toss them until potatoes are well coated with the seasonings.
- Spread the potatoes onto a sheet pan in a single layer. Bake them in the oven for 40-45 minutes.
- While potatoes are roasting, start making toasted cumin seeds. Place cumin seeds in a frying pan. Cook (toast) over medium heat for 5-7 minutes until aromatic and slightly browned on the outside. Set aside.
- Take the potatoes out of the oven and immediately squeeze lemon juice over. Give a quick toss.
- Serve with toasted cumin seeds on top. Squeeze more lemon juice if you like.