Last Updated on July 8, 2021
Yes, more fusion pasta!! We all had the standard pasta with tomato sauce like 1000 times right? This may be a good option for you to change things up a little. The inspiration comes from a Chinese dish which we aren’t sure what it’s called…It’s a stir-fried dish made with tomatoes and eggs that you have probably seen many times. The acidity and the sweetness of tomato sauce works very well with the nutty element of toasted sesame oil and toasted sesame seeds.
We love using passata when it comes to making tomato sauce for pasta. With passata, we can control the consistency by using as it is or make it thinner by adding some liquid. A puree of fresh tomatoes are fantastic but sometimes it’s too thin for what we want to make. We make it thick for this recipe (for Peter) but if you prefer thinner sauce (like Akiko), add some liquid like pasta cooking water or vegetable broth.
What makes this dish better is the homemade Toasted Sesame Seeds. It is super aromatic and so addictive that you just can’t get from the store bought options. Great ingredients make great dishes!! Make sure to check this out!
Spaghetti with Sesame Tomato Sauce
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 1 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 1/2 tsp red chili pepper flakes
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup finely diced yellow onion
- 2 tbsp sake
- 24 oz passata
- Pasta cooking water or vegetable broth (optional)
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil plus more for serving
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1 scallion thinly sliced
- Boil water in a large pot. Start cooking spaghetti in salted water for 8-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat up a large frying pan at medium high heat. Add grapeseed oil and cook red chili pepper flakes and garlic for 1-2 minutes then add yellow onion. Continue to cook for 2-3 minutes
- Add sake and passata. Season with salt. When it starts sizzling reduce the heat to medium low. Continue to cook for a few minutes. If you prefer thinner sauce, add some pasta cooking water or vegetable broth (optional.)
- Drain the spaghetti then transfer to the pan. Add 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil. Give a quick toss.
- Top it with toasted sesame seeds and scallions to serve. Drizzle more toasted sesame oil for the finishing touch.