Last Updated on February 14, 2021
We (especially Akiko) truly love Earl Grey tea! It’s a black tea infused blend with a luxury aroma of bergamot oil which is in the citrus family and has a very intense and distinctive aroma. When we drink Earl Grey tea it makes us feel like Queen Elizabeth accompanied by corgis…instead, we are accompanied by our beagle sous chefs, Red and Haylie!
This waffle will definitely elevate your usual waffles on the weekend!
This inspiration came from Akiko’s old time favorite cake, Earl Grey chiffon cake, back in Japan. We experimented with waffles (Peter’s favorite breakfast) and it turned out to be great! It’s not fluffy and airy like the chiffon cake, but we can still experience the reminiscence of the luxurious aromatic bite. It became an instant favorite for Peter! To enhance the aroma of bergamot, we also added orange zest. The tea leaves are ground using this spice/coffee bean grinder.
The Real Bergamot
There are many Earl Grey tea options available. Make sure not only to buy organic but also it’s important to look for the one with real bergamot. Be sure to avoid the ones made with “artificial bergamot flavors” or “natural citrus flavors.” We believe that great ingredients make great food which make us happy to eat and also to know that we are supporting what we believe good for all . For the tea leaves, we use the one from Mountain Rose Herbs. In case you aren’t aware, there is a company who focuses on sustainability and organic agriculture. Their Earl Grey is by far the best flavor that we’ve tasted. In fact, we also buy other dry herbs, spices, and teas from them. Make sure to check it out!
Earl Grey Tea & Orange Waffles
- 1 tbsp flaxseed meal
- 2 1/2 tbsp water
- 1 1/4 cups almond milk (or any plant-based milk)
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 1/2 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tbsp Earl Grey tea leaves (it becomes about 1 tbsp after ground)
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Maple syrup
- Vegan butter (optional)
- In a large prep bowl, combine flax seed meal and water to make “flax-egg.” Mix well and set aside.
- Use an electric coffee bean grinder to grind Earl Grey tea leaves. Set aside.
- Make a wet mix. Into the bowl with the flax-egg, add almond milk, orange zest, grapeseed oil, sugar, and vanilla extract. Mix well with a whisk. Set aside.
- Make a dry mix. In medium prep bowl, combine all-purpose flour, ground Earl Grey tea leaves, baking powder and salt. Mix well with a whisk then slowly pour the wet mix. Mix just until all the ingredients are blended (do not overmix.) Let it rest for 5 minutes.
- While the waffle batter is resting, preheat a waffle maker (we set ours at 5 out of 6.)
- Grease the surface then pour the batter into the waffle maker and wait until it’s done!
1 thought on “Earl Grey Tea & Orange Waffles”