Last Updated on June 3, 2023
If you’re looking for a different hot bowl of ramen recipe, try my Orange Infused Coconut Vegan Ramen. The coconut milk based broth combined with fresh orange and lime juice makes it so fragrant. Also, a variety of mushrooms gives more complex flavors to it. You can make this creamy, warm and fragrant ramen with any type of ramen noodles of your choice!
A Different Kind of Ramen
I love noodles, especially ramen. When I first went vegan, it was quite a struggle for me to give up on ramen. Raman has always had a special place in my heart and still is my favorite food in my life!
I quickly needed to figure out something to satisfy my cravings for vegan ramen but it took a while for me to figure out how to make one. I do remember the taste of authentic ramen that I grew up eating but I couldn’t find anything similar to bring back the memory. But all that had changed once I started making my vegan ramen from scratch. Actually, it can be very flavorful and satisfying once you explore a bit further.
Typical vegan ramen I make at home are;
- Sesame based
- Miso based
- Shoyu (soy sauce) based
- Korean inspired made with kimchi
As far as I consider, they have more of an “traditional” ramen taste and they’re just as good as non-vegan ones or if not even better.
Then now, I have this new addition of creamy & citrusy coconut milk based vegan ramen! It’s more of a fusion ramen but it’ll still satisfy your ramen cravings!
Orange Infused Broth
As you know, adding citruses like lemon and lime to savory dishes are not uncommon. With a squeeze of fresh citrus juice, it immediately brightens up the flavor.
Orange is not an exception!
I truly enjoy using sweet & tangy orange to savory dishes. Unlike lemon and lime, adding orange gives a pleasant acidity with the sweetness undertone. It’s such an easy but interesting element that you can add to change the complexity of a dish. I have made creamy pasta dish and chickpea salad with orange. They are definitely one of my favorites!
For this recipe, I use fresh orange juice to add to coconut milk (+ water) for making the delicious vegan ramen broth. This coconut milk based broth is also made with garlic, ginger, a couple of different types of mushrooms, and lemon grass powder. You can already imagine how flavorful this broth is!
It’s not the traditional shoyu or miso ramen however, this citrusy Southeast Asian inspired coconut broth was one of the best ramen broths I ever made. If you haven’t found any flavorful broths that are a bit different but still goes well with your favorite vegan ramen or noodles, this will be your new recipe that you will want to make over and over!
Choice of Noodles
You can use any ramen type noodles of your choice!
- Traditional type vegan ramen noodles (alkaline noodles)
- GF noodles
- Shirataki noodles
Or udon noodles may be another good choice!
I use kale noodles (ramen noodle made with kale) to have a contrasting color to the creamy white orange infused coconut broth. It also works well with the color of fresh orange segments & zest as the topping.
You can use either fresh or dried noodles.
How To Serve
You definitely want to serve this delicious vegan orange infused coconut ramen hot! In my opinion, there’s nothing worse than a bowl of lukewarm ramen.
- Neutral oil: I use sunflower oil. You don’t want to use anything strong to conflict the aromatic components.
- Garlic: It’s always better to use fresh garlic.
- Ginger: Ditto
- Mushroom medley: I use trumpet, maitake, and brown/white beech mushrooms. Any mushrooms that gives vegan “dashi” effect will be a good choice.
- Purified water: I like using purified water for both drinking and cooking.
- Full-fat unsweetened coconut milk: My go-to coconut milk is Organic Unsweetened Coconut Milk (Simple=No Guar.) Absolute favorite!
- Oranges: I use Valencia oranges for both juice and zest. I has a good balance of tangy and sweet in comparison to Navel orange.
- Lime: Lime juice adds a different dimension of citrusy note. It counter balances the richness of coconut milk but also enhance the sweetness of the orange.
- Lemongrass powder: I keep a pouch of Organic Lemongrass Powder from Mountain Rose Herbs. You may substitute with fresh lemongrass if you like.
- Sea salt: Any sea salt or you choice will work
- Cane sugar: I use regular organic cane sugar. You could substitute with other alternatives. I’m just not a fan of the taste of agave or other healthier sweeteners especially in Asian cooking.
- Ramen noodles of your choice: I use vegan kale noodles. Any types of vegan ramen noodles will work.
- Optional topping suggestions
- Orange segments: It’s so interesting to slurp noodles with fresh orange segments!
- Blanched sugar snap peas: Just for a color and a little crunchy factor. Not essential.
- A handful of spicy blend micro greens: Not just for a color but it adds a fresh bite with the cooked components.
- Lime wedge / slice: You can squeeze extra juice as you like.
- Sugar is used as a flavor balancing agent. I do this in many savory dishes! In this recipe, it balances out the acidity of the orange & lime juice. Also, the sweetness take takes the edge off the saltiness.
- Be sure to use fresh orange & lime juice. Totally don’t recommend packaged juice. It makes whole a lot difference in the final taste!
- One of the Top 5 favorite vegan pasta; Fettucine with Shiitake & Orange Truffle Cream Sauce
- Healthy vegan Chickpea Salad with Fennel & Orange (warm or cold)
- Cozy vegan Orange Infused Fall Spice French Toast
Vegan Orange Infused Coconut Ramen
- 1 tsp neutral oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced (about 2 tsp)
- 1 1/2- inch ginger knob minced (about 1 tbsp)
- 4 oz mushroom medley I use a mix of trumpet, maitake, and brown/white beech (about 2 cups), slice or tear into small pieces / trim off the root if needed
- 2 1/2 cups purified water
- 1 can full-fat unsweetened coconut milk 13.5 fl oz
- 2-3 oranges grated zest (about 1 1/2 tbsp), juice (1/4 cup + 2 tbsp / 90 ml), 3-4 segments (optional) *
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice 1-2 limes
- 1 tsp lemongrass powder
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 servings of ramen noodles of your choice I use vegan kale noodles (5.5 oz / 156 g each, uncooked) *
Optional Topping Suggestions
- 3-4 orange segments
- 3-4 cooked sugar snap peas
- A handful of spicy blend micro greens
- Lime wedge / slice
- Start boiling water in a medium to large pot for cooking noodles.
- Meanwhile, make the broth. Heat up a medium pot or sauce pan at medium high heat. Pour neutral oil and add garlic and ginger. Cook for a minute until fragrant.
- Add mushrooms. Cook for 2-3 minutes until they are reduced down in volume. Adjust the heat as necessary.
- Add water, coconut milk, orange juice, lime juice, lemongrass powder, salt and sugar. Bring it to gentle boil then reduce the heat to medium low. Continue to simmer until noodles are done.
- Once the water is boiling, start cooking noodles according to the instruction on the package. Drain well and transfer to a serving bowl.
- To serve, pour the broth over the noodle. Garnish with orange zest and other optional toppings such as orange segments, sugar snap peas, spicy blend micro greens, and lime wedge/slice etc.
- I use Valencia oranges. You can substitute with other orange like Navel.
- Be sure to use fresh orange & lime juice. Totally don't recommend packaged juice. It makes a whole lot of difference in the final taste!
- Feel free to use any vegan ramen noodles (or other noodles) of your choice!