Last Updated on February 14, 2021
Are you a okra fan? As far as we know, okra is originated in Africa and now commonly eaten in many places including the United States (especially the Southern part), India, and also Japan. It’s cultivated in warmer and tropical climates so it’s technically a summer vegetable.
It’s slimy when you cut it open which turns some people off. Do you know slimy foods are actually really healthy for you? Once you consume and digest, it picks up the impurities from our body and cleanses it. So you should definitely be eating more!!
We incorporate okra in several different types of dishes such as soup, pasta, and stir-fry. Our favorite is definitely oven-roasted. It’s so simple and easy to make and super delicious with this Ginger Miso Mayo Dip!! The dip is Japanese-inspired and made with vegan mayo, miso paste, freshly grated ginger, and fresh lime juice! It also has toasted sesame oil which adds a nutty back ground flavor. We sprinkle some shichimi pepper which is a Japanese spicy pepper blend, that has 7 different aromatic spices to kick it up a notch. Actually this dip is really versatile. We use the same dip (minus the ginger) for this dish with grilled asparagus.
If your not a fan of slimy foods we may have a solution for you. Instead of roasting them as a whole, slice them in half lengthwise. Then when you roast, array them cut side up, and cook longer for about 30 minutes or longer if you like. Just beware that if you go too long, they will may get too crispy and chewy on the outside although the sliminess will be almost unnoticeable.
However you roast them, they’re delicious as an appetizer or a starter. It can also be a side dish or healthy snack!
Roasted Okra with Ginger Miso Mayo Dip
- 13 oz okra (about 28 pieces)
- 1/2 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
Ginger Miso Mayo Dip
- 1/2 cup vegan mayo
- 1/2 tbsp white miso paste
- 1/2 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp shichimi pepper (optional)
- Lime wedges/slices (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Trim the head of okra if it’s tough. Leave them as a whole or slice in half lengthwise if you prefer less slimy. Transfer to a large bowl. Coat with grapeseed oil then season with salt and black pepper.
- Spread them on a baking sheet in a single layer. If you slice them in half, array them with openside up. Pop it in the oven and cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the dip. In a medium bowl, combine vegan mayo, miso paste, grated ginger, lime juice and toasted sesame oil. Mix well. Transfer to a small serving bowl then sprinkle shichimi pepper on top (optional.) Set aside.
- Serve immediately with lime wedges/slices for, and the ginger miso mayo dip.
- If you are not a fan of the slimy texture of okra, slice in half lengthwise and cook longer in the oven to reduce the sliminess.